This is a family favorite for holidays and for “just because”. The longest part of this recipe is cooking the rice and baking the entire casserole in the oven. Putting it together is fast and easy.
Start with the following:
- 3 cups of cooked white or brown rice
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 pkg frozen spinach or 2 cups of broccoli florets (I used broccoli as I am allergic to spinach)
- 1/2 cup of butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 t. salt (or soy sauce)– I used salt as I am allergic to soy
- 1/4 t. rosemary
- 1/4 t. thyme
- 1 t. onion powder
- handful of grated mild cheddar cheese
Mix all the ingredients together. You can skip the cheese if you want… it still tastes good.
Put the mixture into a lightly greased casserole dish.
Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Check on it at the 45 minute mark. Make sure you bake it with a lid on or foil… otherwise it will dry out too much during baking. You can take the lid/foil off about 5 minutes before it is done to slightly brown the top.
This is a very filling side dish.
The original recipe says it serves 6-8 people…. In my house it is lucky to serve 3.