This is a recipe that I found years ago when I was first married. It has become a family favorite for breakfast especially on holidays and special weekends.
Start by mixing the cake ingredients together (all but the last 4 ingredients below in the recipe). It will be a quite thick batter. Add it to a 8X8 greased and floured baking pan. Set this aside.
Next mix together the caramel center (the last 4 ingredients in the recipe below). Melt the butter before mixing. This will be a wet batter.
Bring back the cake pan. Drizzle the caramel into the cake pan like you see in the picture above. Next take a butter knife and make slits in the batter for the caramel to run into.
Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Once out of the oven, cut it into squares and serve warm.
This is a breakfast coffee cake with caramel streaks running through it. Excellent for holidays and weekend.
- 1 1/2cup white all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2/3cup white granulated sugar
- 1/3cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2cup milk or water
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
Source of recipe is unknown. I have been making this recipe for over 20 years.